Opening Weekend Tips
It’s here! The David H. Koch Hall of Fossils - Deep Time officially opens on Saturday, June 8, 2019 after five years of preparation. We are excited to share this new space with you. Here are some tips to help you prepare for your visit over opening weekend:
- An opening celebration will take place at 10:15am on Saturday, June 8. Come early for a great view of the ceremony—the first 300 visitors at the Madison Drive entrance (on the National Mall) will be able to view opening remarks from our Director, Kirk Johnson.
- We will be opening the Museum later than usual on Saturday, June 8. Museum doors at both entrances will open after the ceremony concludes, around 10:30am.
- On June 8th and 9th the Museum will be open until 7:30pm. Additionally, we will be open until 7:30 for all of June (except for June 20th when we close at 5:30pm) and in July & August we are open until 7:30pm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings (except for Aug. 17).
- Costumes are encouraged! Get into the Dino spirit and come in costume. Before planning your outfit, scroll down to review safety restrictions.
- Tickets are not required for the event, however there will be long lines. Staff will be on hand to help everyone get in as quickly as possible.
- Know what NOT to bring and travel light. Backpacks and bags will be searched and attempting to bring in prohibited items will slow down the lines. Take a look at the list of prohibited items.
- Events and activities will take place throughout the museum, not just in the new exhibit! Explore opening weekend events here. A full schedule will be posted throughout the museum and available at the Information Desks.
- Use public transportation instead of driving. Go to the WMATA.com to get the most up-to-date information about metro and buses. If you must drive, explore your parking options before you come.
- Wheelchairs are limited and available on a first come first served basis. Please plan to bring your own if possible. Both the Constitution Ave and the National Mall entrances of the building are wheelchair accessible. More accessibility information here.
- Expect long lines at both our shops and cafeterias. We have keepsakes and gifts available at our Museum Shop and a variety of food choices at our newly re-opened Ocean Terrace and Atrium Cafés. Outside food continues to be prohibited in the museum.
- Don’t forget to wear comfortable shoes, make use of our free WiFi and HAVE FUN!