Q?rius jr.: a discovery room
What can I do in Q?rius jr.?
- Search with binoculars for plants and animals on the biodiversity wall, an exhibit showcasing the diversity of species found locally.
- Examine butterfly wings, rocks, minerals and more under a real microscope.
- Read a story, color a turtle, or create your own bird.
- Touch and explore collections of exciting objects from all over the world.
- Shake hands with a full-size replica of a human skeleton.
We offer programs for school groups and for homeschool students.
Registration for the 2018-19 school year is now open.
Q?rius jr. School Programs
During the school year, Q?rius jr.: a discovery room offers programs for student groups in grades K-5 on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 10:15 and 11:30. All Q?rius jr. : a discovery room school programs are led by Museum staff, and designed to keep students on task for 45 minutes. Programs require a minimum of 15 students present to run, with a maximum of 30 students per program slot.
How to Register
Registration for the 2018-19 school year is now open. Go to the school programs registrations page, choose your date and time, click the "Sign Up" button, and on the registration form select the program you want. Register Your Group
- You must register for a program that aligns with your student’s grade level in order for your program to run.
- Programs require a minimum of 15 students present to run, with a maximum of 30 students per program slot.
- 1 chaperone required per 5 students.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail) or 202-633-4039 with additional questions about programs or logistics
Q?rius jr. Kits for Homeschool Students
Are you interested in a Q?rius jr. school program, but can’t get together a group of at least 15 students? Try out one of our self-guided Q?rius jr. Kits! Reserve a kit to explore with your children at your own pace; choose from Classifying Shells, Unearthing Egypt, Exploring Ecosystems, or Identifying Minerals. Each kit includes a detailed parent’s guide, kids’ handouts, and fascinating objects to discover. This is not a staff-led program, but there will be staff and volunteers on hand to help.
Kits are available during Q?rius jr. : a discovery room public hours all year, and for younger siblings of Q?rius Homeschool Days participants the first Monday of every month from October through June.
Reservations required. Contact us at email@example.com (link sends e-mail) or 202-633-4039 to reserve a kit, or with additional questions about programs or logistics. Please note that we require a week's notice for kit reservations.
Q?rius jr.: a discovery room Homeschool Days
Q?rius jr.: a discovery room Homeschool Days take place on the first Monday of every month, October through June, at 2:30 p.m. You must register for a program that aligns with your student’s grade level. For programs designated as K-2, participating students must be in kindergarten, first, or second grade and at least 5 years old by the date of the program. For programs designated as 3-5, students must be in third, fourth, or fifth grade and at least 8 years old by the date of the program.
Registration is now open for programs from October to February.
DATE - PROGRAM - GRADES - TIME SLOT (Click time to get info and register)
- Dec. 3, 2018 - Animal Coverings - K-2 - 2:30
- Jan. 7, 2019 - Unearthing Egypt - 3-5 - 2:30
- Feb. 4, 2019 - Exploring Ecosystems - 3-5 - 2:30
Registration for March through June will open on January 2, 2019. Program offerings:
DATE - PROGRAM - GRADES