Natural History Investigations
After School Programs for High School Students
Join us for an after school program series that allows you to explore the world of natural history science in a fun and interactive way!
Who Should Apply?
Students in grades 9 through 12 who are interested in science and museums, and are looking for ways to go beyond what they learn in school.
What Will I Do?
- Meet and learn from museum scientists and educators
- Gain natural history science and technology skills
- Visit exclusive behind-the-scenes areas of the museum
- Meet other science-minded teens from across the D.C. metropolitan area
Details about the Program
Q?rius, The Coralyn W. Whitney Science Education Center at the National Museum of Natural History
Dates, Times and Program Themes
Here is the schedule of Natural History Investigations after school sessions for fall 2019. We will be offering additional workshops in January/February. Check back in October for dates and themes!
Entomology: Exploring Insects
5 – 7 p.m. on October 23, October 30, November 6, and November 13
With over 35 million specimens from around the globe, the Smithsonian insect collection is one of the largest entomological collections in the world. Join NMNH staff and scientists for a behind-the-scenes tour of the entomology collection, a hands-on demonstration of pinning and preserving specimens, and an up-close exploration of the living denizens of our Insect Zoo.
How Do I Apply?
Download the application form below. Send completed applications to YouthNMNH@si.edu with the subject line "NATURAL HISTORY INVESTIGATIONS APPLICATION."
Applicants will be accepted on a rolling basis. Students will be notified via the applicant e-mail provided whether they have been accepted into the program.
Questions? Contact us at YouthNMNH@si.edu (link sends e-mail) or 202-633-4588
- Students are required to attend all sessions within their program.
- Students can only be accepted to one program series.
- At the end of the program, students receive a certificate of completion, participate in a showcase for family and friends.
- Students can use the certificate of completion to demonstrate an interest in science when applying to the Youth Engagement through Science internship program or Q?Crew Teen Volunteer program.