MSC Visitor Information
Making an appointment
- The Department of Anthropology can accommodate a limited number of visitors each day. To avoid disappointment, visitors are advised to request an appointment at least one month in advance.
- In order to accommodate all of our visitors, especially during busy seasons, we may restrict the amount of time available for each visitor or limit repeat visits by the same individual.
- If you are visiting with a group, please indicate the total number of people. Space is limited in certain collections areas, and we may need to make alternate arrangements for larger groups.
- Researchers must be at least 18 years old. Visits and tours for people ages 13-17 are only permitted by special advance appointment and with adult chaperone(s). Children under the age of 13 are not permitted.
- The Museum Support Center (MSC) is located at 4210 Silver Hill Road, Suitland, Maryland. Free parking is available for visitors.
- We are 0.7 miles west of the Suitland metro stop.
- There is an hourly shuttle bus that runs between the National Museum of Natural History on the National Mall to the Museum Support Center (MSC). Please let us know if you plan to take the shuttle, so that we can send you the schedule and instructions on picking up a visitor pass.
Checking in at MSC
- Please bring a photo ID, and check in at the front desk.
- You will be asked to register your laptop, cameras (except phones), and other valuables at the MSC security desk when you enter the building.
- Wi-Fi is available for public use.
- Scanners and photocopiers are not permitted in the Archives due to conservation concerns and copyright restrictions. Digital cameras are allowed in the reading room.
- Breakfast and Lunch is available for purchase in our cafeteria. There is also a refrigerator and microwave available for visitors.
Native and Indigenous Visitors
- Our ceremonial room is a private space near the collections storage that is available for your use. Visitors have used this space for individual and group prayer, smudging, blessings, discussion, and rest.