YES! Teen Internship Program
The Youth Engagement through Science (YES!) internship is a career immersion and science communication program for youth between the ages of 14-19, who are currently enrolled in high school (grades 9-11) in the Washington D.C. region. The YES! program, which runs from June-November, gives interns practical experience through a hands-on science internship with Smithsonian science staff. By participating in the program, teens will also have access to behind-the-scenes tours and field trips, creative studio workshops, college preparatory classes, and the opportunity to create their own TED-type talks.
How to Apply
Due to the ongoing and uncertain nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Museum of Natural History will not be accepting applications for the 2021 Youth Engagement through Science (YES!) summer teen internship program. We understand this may come as a disappointment, but please know that this decision was not made lightly; as always, the health and safety of our staff, interns, volunteers, and visitors takes priority. If you are interested in staying up to date with the museum's youth offerings and updates, please email YouthNMNH@si.edu and request to be added to our Youth Programs mailing list.
You might also like: Teen Tuesday: Earth Optimism Webinars
What Is In It for You?
- Research internships with a Smithsonian science mentor in various science disciplines across the National Museum of Natural History.
- Training Courses where you will learn how to effectively engage public audiences and your peers in science topics.
- A chance to meet teens who share similar science interests.
- Field trips and behind-the-scenes tours.
- College preparation courses from YES! alumni and local college visits.
- A stipend of $2,500.
Questions? Call (202) 633-4588 or email YouthNMNH@si.edu