Make us a part of your family fun! During our programs, families learn together about nature, science, culture and museum collections in interactive, playful, and creative ways.
Monthly Family Program Series
The World & Me
Story time with a science twist! Every second Saturday of the month, families discover the natural and cultural world and their place in it. Museum educators will lead a program that combines a book reading, create-and-take activities, and a chance to look more closely at the museum’s collections. These programs are designed for families with children ages 3 to 8. Advanced registration is recommended to reserve your spot in this program, which allows your family to use our express entry line to avoid lengthy waits to enter the building. The reservation fee is $2 per person. Children ages 2 and under are free.
What happens during a "World & Me" program?
10:30 – 11:00 a.m. – Free exploration of hands-on stations
11:00 – 11:30 a.m. – Book reading
11:30 a.m. – 12:00 noon – Craft activity
- Saturday, December 14, 2019: Stripes of All Types – Join us in welcoming special guest, author and illustrator Susan Stockdale! She will read and demonstrate how she created her book, Stripes of All Types, which celebrates the variety of stripes found on animals around the world. After her presentation, participants will do a craft activity to take home with them, and have the opportunity to purchase their own book to be personally inscribed by Ms. Stockdale. After the program, she will be signing books outside of the Gallery Store. Books will be available for purchase.
Discover the natural and cultural world and your place in it during Family Days at NMNH, happening throughout the year. Visitors of all ages get the chance to connect to natural history topics through interactive activities, crafts, demonstrations and conversations with scientists.
- Saturday, November 16, 2019: Fossil Fest – Gather your friends and family and get ready for a fun, fossil-filled day in Q?rius! Fossil Fest is free and open to the public, but registration is requested. (Leer en español)
- Learn about the tools and research techniques experts use to unearth the facts about prehistoric ecosystems and life long ago.
- Explore the world of paleontology by meeting scientists and paleontology staff to get a behind-the-scenes look into their work.
- Experience the field yourself through virtual reality, handling 3D fossil prints, or by sifting for and identifying fossils YOU can uncover at our hands-on learning stations!
- Find something for everyone in your family to enjoy, from arts and crafts and mask making to film shorts, and much more!
- This program is an English-Spanish bilingual event, with bilingual volunteers, and program materials and signs in both languages.
Explore natural science and culture by sharing ideas, learning skills, and creating together.
No workshops are scheduled at this time.
No special programs are scheduled at this time.