National Fossil Day at the Museum
Special In-Person Event, October 12, 2022
Join us for some fossil fun on Wednesday, October 12, from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. ET!
Celebrate National Fossil Day with real dinosaurs and free, kid-friendly activities in the museum’s David H. Koch Hall of Fossils – Deep Time. Scientists and educators from the Smithsonian and the National Park Service will be on hand to welcome families, school groups, and anyone interested in exploring Earth’s deep past. No registration required.
- Participate in a fossil "dig" to find and identify real fossils
- Make a fossil rubbing from casts of prehistoric plants and animals to take home
- Observe experts at work in the FossiLab
- Get up-close the Nation’s T. rex and discover new paleo icons
- Earn a Junior Paleontologist’s badge
- And more!
Activities are designed for children ages 3 to 10 and their caregivers, but all are welcome to join the fun!
Resources for Kids, Families, and Teachers
Check out these fossil-related activities, videos, and more at your own pace!
- Paleo Art – Edge of Extinction: Make Your Own Dinosaur Ecosystem Mural
- Evolve or Perish Board Game
- Dinosaurs Take Flight
- Virtual Tour: David H. Koch Hall of Fossils – Deep Time
- Hall of Fossils – Deep Time Virtual Tour for Students (YouTube)
- Dinosaur Drawings
- Fossils Live! A Tour of the Fossil Prep Lab
- Historia Natural en Casa: Los Gigantes del Sur
- Stamp Stories: Tyrannosaurus Rex (from the National Postal Museum)
More Fossil Resources
The photo at top shows a Tyrannosaurus rex fossil skeleton biting down on a Triceratops horridus. Credit: Smithsonian Institution.