Dig Deeper at Home: Dinosaurs of Hell Creek
Watch the Webinar
In the webinar video above, you’ll hear from Paleontologist Advait Jukar about dinosaurs from the Hell Creek Formation. Even though dinosaurs are among the most recognized and celebrated groups of animals from this time period and place, scientists are learning new things about them all the time. And as they learn, the way artists depict them can change — sometimes quite a lot! Watch this video to see this transformation for two of the most famous dinosaurs: T. rex and Triceratops. Then learn from paleoartists Bob Walters and Tess Kissinger how to draw T. rex.
(This page is Part 4 of 5 in the activity, "Paleo Art – Edge of Extinction: Make Your Own Dinosaur Ecosystem Mural.")
- Practice your drawing of T. rex on separate pieces of paper.
- Add it to your mural once you’re ready!
Tips from Bob and Tess:
- Start with simple shapes.
- Don’t be afraid to change something or start over.
- When you add details, remember you want more detail in the foreground and less in the background.
- Keep drawing! You may want to draw the same thing over and over to build muscle memory before adding it to your mural.
Explore More About Dinosaurs
- Take a Virtual Tour of the David H. Koch Hall of Fossils – Deep Time at the National Museum of Natural History
- Watch Webinar: Exploring Smithsonian's Dinosaurs with Paleontologist Matthew Carrano
- Watch How Fossils Explain the Rise of Dinosaurs with Paleontologist Hans Sues
- Read A New View of T. Rex