Rebecca A. Kaczkowski is the Anthropology Conservator at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History (NMNH), where she manages all conservation activities within the Department of Anthropology, ranging from treatment and research to developing guidelines for practice and teaching.
Prior to her current role, she was the Preventive Conservator at the Smithsonian’s Museum Conservation Institute, and brings to NMNH broad experience with exhibits conservation, museum environments, collections care and storage, and training. She earned an M.S. in art conservation from the University of Delaware and holds a B.A. in art history and German language & literature and an M.A. in museum studies from The George Washington University.
Becky is a Professional Associate of the American Institute for Conservation; she currently serves AIC as Chair of the the Materials Selection & Specification Working Group and the Membership Committee.
- M.S., Objects Conservation, Winterthur Museum/University of Delaware Art Conservation Program
- M.A., Museum Studies, George Washington University , Columbian College of Arts & Sciences
- B.A., Art History; German Language & Literature, George Washington University , Columbian College of Arts & Sciences
- Kaczkowski, Rebecca. 2022. "Materials Working Group (MWG) Update." AIC News, 47, (2) 18–20.
- Heald, Susan, George, John, Osmond, Lauren, Elston, Sarah, Kaczkowski, Rebecca, Kavich, Gwenaelle, and Newsome, G. Asher. 2021. "A COVID-Redirect – Investigation and Mitigation of Adhesive Off-gassing and Crystal Formation Inside Exhibition Cases Takes an Unexpected Detour." Collections Quarterly, 11.
- Alvarez-Martin, Alba, George, John, Kaplan, Emily, Osmond, Lauren, Bright, Leah, Newsome, G. Asher, Kaczkowski, Rebecca, Vanmeert, Frederik, Kavich, Gwénaëlle, and Heald, Susan. 2020. "Identifying VOCs in exhibition cases and efflorescence on museum objects exhibited at Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian-New York." Heritage Science, 8. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40494-020-00454-4.
- Kaczkowski, Rebecca, King, Melissa, and Imamura, Lisa. 2020. "Materials Working Group: Building Community & Collating Resources." AIC News, 45, (2) 1–26.
- Kaczkowski, Rebecca and Davies, D. 2020. "Preservation Environments Subcommittee: An Update." Smithsonian's Collections Quarterly, 14.
- France, Christine A. M., Kaczkowski, Rebecca A., Kavich, Gwénaëlle M., and Epitropou, Anastasia. 2020. "The effects of cyclododecane and subsequent removal on δ15N, δ13C, and δ18O values in collagen and bioapatite of a modern bone." Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, 31 Article 102367. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jasrep.2020.102367.
- Alvarez-Martin, Alba, McHugh, Kelly, Martin, Cali, Kavich, Gwénaëlle, and Kaczkowski, Rebecca. 2020. "Understanding air-tight case environments at the National Museum of the American Indian (Smithsonian Institution) by SPME-GC-MS analysis." Journal of Cultural Heritage, 44 38–46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.culher.2020.01.004. 2020
- Kaczkowski, Rebecca A. 2018. "A New Working Group: Materials Selection & Specifications." AIC News, 43, (3) 24–25.
- Vicenzi, Edward P., Kaczkowski, Rebecca A., and Dajnowski, Bartosz A. 2018. "Laser Cleaning Iron Meteorite Corrosion, A Microstructural and Compositional Examination." Microscopy and Microanalysis, 24 2160–2161. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1431927618011285.
- Kaczkowski, Rebecca A., Makos, Kathryn A., Hawks, Catharine, and Hunt, Michael. 2017. "Investigation of Residual Contamination Inside Storage Cabinets: Collection Care Benefits from an Industrial Hygiene Study." Journal of the American Institute for Conservation, 1–19. https://doi.org/10.1080/01971360.2017.1326242.
- Kaczkowski, Rebecca. 2022. "Best Practices: Are we following the wrong rules? Part 2." What Is Conservation University of Delaware Art Conservation Department. Feb 21, 2022. https://whatisconservation.com/idea/are-we-following-the-wrong-rules-part-2/.
- Kaczkowski, Rebecca A., Dajnowski, B. A., and Vicenzi, Edward P. 2017. "From Earth to Outer Space: Laser cleaning semiprecious quartz and a novel application for meteoritic metal." In Lasers in the Conservation of Artworks XI: Proceedings of the International Conference LACONA XI, Krakow, Poland, 20-23 September 2016. Tagowski, Piotr, Walczak, Malgorzata, and Pouli, Paraskevi, editors. 47–62. Torun, Poland: Nicolaus Copernicus Press. https://doi.org/10.12775/3875-4.03.
- Herrmann, Jennifer, Davis, Andrew, Kaczkowski, Rebecca, Neumann, Antje, Brogdon-Grantham, Shannon, France, Fenella, Kim, Dong Eun, Liu, Yun, Lubick, Amy, Ormsby, Mark, Shpargel, Sara, and Tilford, Charles. 2021. Trajectory of Anoxic Encasements in Museum Use.