Gwyneira IsaacCurator of North American Indigenous Culture
Department / Division
- B.F.A., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- M.Phil., Oxford University
- Ph.D., Oxford University
Anthropology, Zuni and Southwest Pueblos, knowledge systems, material culture, photography.
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2018. "Collecting." in The International Encyclopedia of Anthropology, 1–10. London, England: Wiley.
- McChesney, Lea and Isaac, Gwyneira. 2018. "Paying Back: The Hopi Pottery Oral History Project." in Giving Back: Research and Reciprocity in Indigenous Settings, edited by Herman, R. Douglas K., Oregon State University Press.
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2015. "'Get to Know Your World': An Interview with Jim Enote, Director of the A:shiwi A:wan Museum and Heritage Center in Zuni New Mexico." in Museum Transformations. International Handbook of Museums, edited by Phillips, Ruth and Coombes, Annie., Oxford: Blackwell Press. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118829059.wbihms413
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2014. "The Price of Knowledge and the Economies of Heritage in Zuni." in Museums as Process: Translating Local and Global Knowledges, edited by Silverman, Raymond., 152–168. London: Routledge.
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2013. "We'Wha Goes to Washington." in Reassembling the Collection, edited by Harrison, Rodney, Byrne, Sarah, and Clark, Anne., 143–170. Santa Fe: School for Advanced Research Press.
- Isaac, Gwyneira and Bell, Joshua A. 2013. "Smithsonian Institution." in Theory in Social and Cultural Anthropology: An Encyclopedia, edited by McGee, R. Jon and Warms, Richard L., 781–785. London: Sage Publications, Inc..
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2009. "Digital Enchantments: The Use of Electronic Media at the National Museum of the American Indian." in Visual Currencies: Reflections on Native American Photography, edited by Henrietta Lidchi and Hulleah J. Tsinhnahjinnie., 77–89. Edinburgh: National Museums of Scotland.
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2008. "What Are Our Expectations Telling Us? Encounters with the National Museum of the American Indian." in The National Museum of the American Indian: Critical Conversations, edited by Lonetree, Amy and Cobb, Amanda., 241–266. University of Nebraska.
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2008. "Responsibility Towards Knowledge: The Zuni Museum as a Mediator between Anglo-American and Zuni Knowledge Systems." in Contesting Knowledge: Museums and Indigenous Perspectives, edited by Sleeper-Smith, Susan., 241–266. University of Nebraska Press.
- Isaac, Gwyneira, Finn, Symma, Joe, Jennie R., Hoover, Elizabeth, Gone, Joseph P., Lefthand-Begay, Clarita, and Hill, Stewart. 2018. "Native American Perspectives on Health and Traditional Ecological Knowledge." Environmental health perspectives 126 (12):https://doi.org/10.1289/EHP1944
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2015. "Perclusive Alliances: Digital 3-D, Museums and Reconciling of Culturally Diverse Knowledges." Current Anthropology 56:S286–S296. https://doi.org/10.1086/683296
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2015. "Museums and the Practice of Anthropology: Whose Responsibility is it?." Practicing Anthropology 37 (3):19–19. https://doi.org/10.17730/0888-4552-37.3.19
- Isaac, Gwyneira and Isaac, Barbara. 2015. "Uncovering the demographics of collecting A case-study of the US Exploring Expedition (1838–1842)." Journal of the History of Collections 28 (2):209–223. https://doi.org/10.1093/jhc/fhv027
- Isaac, Gwyneira, Bojorquez, April, and Nichols, Catherine. 2012. "Dying to be Represented: Museums and Dia de los Muertos Collaborations." Collaborative Anthropologies 5:28–63.
- Isaac, Barbara and Isaac, Gwyneira. 2011. "Unexpected trajectories: A history of Niuean throwing stones." The Journal of the Polynesian Society 120 (4):369–401.
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2011. "Whose Idea Was This? Museums, Replicas and the Reproduction of Knowledge." Current Anthropology 52 (2):211–233. https://doi.org/10.1086/659141
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2010. "Anthropology and its Embodiments: 19th Century Museum Ethnography and the Re-enactment of Indigenous Knowledge." Etnofoor 22 (1):11–29.
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2008. "Technology Becomes the Object: Art, Artifact and Digital Media at the National Museum of the American Indian." Journal of Material Culture 13 (3):287–210. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359183508095497
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2006. "What Are Our Expectations Telling Us? Encounters with the National Museum of the American Indian." American Indian Quarterly 30 (4):547–596.
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2005. "Mediating Knowledges: Zuni Negotiations for a Culturally Relevant Museum." Museum Anthropology 28 (1):3–18.
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 2005. "Re-observation and the Recognition of Change: The Photographs of Matilda Coxe Stevenson (1879-1915)." Journal of the Southwest 47 (3):411–455.
- Isaac, Gwyneira. 1997. "Louis Agassiz's Photographs in Brazil: Separate Creations." History of Photography 21 (1):3–11.
- Isaac, Gwyneira, Fontenelle, Wendy, and Kennedy, Tom. 1997. "A:shiwi A:wan: 'Belonging to the Zuni People': Interviews from the A:shiwi A:wan museum and Heritage Center in Zuni, NM." Cultural Survival Quarterly 21 (1):41–46.
- Isaac, Gwyneir. 2008. Mediating Knowledges : Origins of a Museum for the Zuni People. Tucson: University of Arizona Press.