Darrin LundeCollection Manager
My interests are focused on mammal collections and their role in advancing science and enriching our daily lives. I have accumulated twenty years of experience at the American Museum and the National Museum of Natural History, and am active in promoting the shared missions of these and other great mammal collections around the world. Key to the vitality of any museum is the continuation of active field work, and I have done my part by leading expeditions throughout the Americas, Africa, and South East Asia. I have named more than a dozen new species of mammals and shed light on hundreds of other, lesser-known species. My overarching professional goal is to illuminate the rich diversity of mammals with which we share the world.
- M.A. (Ecology, Evolutionary Biology and Systematics): City College of New York, 2002
- B.S. (Animal Sciences): Cornell University, 1991
Supervision of collection management activities in the Division of Mammals, including accessions, specimen preparation, cataloging, specimen installations, curation, loans, information requests, and assisting visitors.
- Thompson, Randall C., Thompson, Elaine C., Narula, Navneet, Wann, L. Samuel, Kwong, Ian, Sutherland, M. Linda, Sutherland, James D., Narula, Jagat, Allam, Adel H., France, Christine A. M., Michalik, David E., Lunde, Darrin, Finch, Caleb E., Hunt, David R., and Frohlich, Bruno. 2021. "Imaging atherosclerosis in great apes." Journal of the American College of Cardiology: Cardiovascular Imaging 14 (6): 1275– 1277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcmg.2020.10.022
- Gregory, Tremaine, Lunde, Darrin, Zamora-Meza, Hugo, and Carrasco-Rueda, Farah. 2015. "Records of Coendouichillus (Rodentia, Erethizontidae) from the Lower Urubamba Region of Peru." ZooKeys (509): 109– 121. https://doi.org/10.3897/zookeys.509.9821
- Reeder, DeeAnn, Helgen, Kristofer M., Vodzak, Megan E., Lunde, Darrin, and Ejotre, Imran. 2013. "A new genus for a rare African vespertilionid bat: insights from South Sudan." ZooKeys 285: 89– 115. https://doi.org/10.3897/zookeys.285.4892
- Aplin, Kenneth P., Helgen, Kristofer M., and Lunde, Darrin P. 2010. "A review of Peroryctes broadbenti, the Giant Bandicoot of Papua New Guinea." American Museum Novitates 3696: 1– 41.
- Rossi, Rogério V., Voss, Robert S., and Lunde, Darrin P. 2010. "A Revision of the Didelphid Marsupial Genus Marmosa Part 1. The Species in Tate's 'Mexicana' and 'Mitis' Sections and Other Closely Related Forms." Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History 334: 1– 83. https://doi.org/10.1206/334.1
- Jenkins, Paulina D., Lunde, Darrin P., and Moncrieff, Clive B. 2009. "Chapter 10. Descriptions of New Species of Crocidura (Soricomorpha: Soricidae) from Mainland Southeast Asia, with Synopses of Previously Described Species and Remarks on Biogeography." Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History 331: 356– 405. https://doi.org/10.1206/582-10.1
- Musser, Guy G. and Lunde, Darrin P. 2009. "Systematic Reviews of New Guinea Coccymys and "Melomys" Albidens (Muridae, Murinae) with Descriptions of New Taxa." Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History 329: 1– 139. https://doi.org/10.1206/635.1
- Musser, Guy G., Helgen, Kristofer M., and Lunde, Darrin P. 2008. "Systematic review of New Guinea Leptomys (Muridae, Murinae) with descriptions of two new species." American Museum Novitates (3624): 1– 60. https://doi.org/10.1206/587.1
- Lunde, Darrin P., Son, Nguyen Truong, and Musser, Guy G. 2007. "A survey of small mammals from Huu Lien Nature Reserve, Lang Son Province, Vietnam." Mammal Study 32 (4): 155– 168. https://doi.org/10.3106/1348-6160(2007)32[155:ASOSMF]2.0.CO
- Musser, Guy G., Lunde, Darrin P., and Son, Nguyen Truong. 2006. "Description of a New Genus and Species of Rodent (Murinae, Muridae, Rodentia) from the Tower Karst Region of Northeastern Vietnam." American Museum Novitates 3517 (1): 1– 41. https://doi.org/10.1206/0003-0082(2006)3517[1:DOANGA]2.0.CO
- Musser, Guy G., Smith, Angela L., Robinson, M. F., and Lunde, Darrin P. 2005. "Description of a New Genus and Species of Rodent (Murinae, Muridae, Rodentia) from the Khammouan Limestone National Biodiversity Conservation Area in Lao PDR." American Museum Novitates 3497 (1): 1– 31. https://doi.org/10.1206/0003-0082(2005)497[0001:DOANGA]2.0.CO
- Voss, Robert S., Lunde, Darrin P., and Jansa, Sharon A. 2005. "On the Contents of Gracilinanus, Gardner and Creighton, 1989, with the Description of a Previously Unrecognized Clade of Small Didelphid Marsupials." American Museum Novitates 3482: 1– 34. https://doi.org/10.1206/0003-0082(2005)482[0001:OTCOGG]2.0.CO
- Lunde, Darrin P., Musser, Guy G., and Ziegler, Thomas. 2004. "Description of a new species of Crocidura (Soricomorpha: Soricidae, Crocidurinae) from Ke Go Nature Reserve, Vietnam." Mammal Study 29 (1): 27– 36. https://doi.org/10.3106/mammalstudy.29.27
- Lunde, Darrin P. and Musser, Guy G. 2003. "A recently discovered specimen of Indonesian Mountain Weasel (Mustela lutreolina Robinson and Thomas 1917) from Sumatra." Small Carnivore Conservation 28: 22.
- Lunde, Darrin P., Musser, Guy G., and Duc Tien, Pham. 2003. "Records of some little known bats (Chiroptera: Vespertilionidae) from Vietnam." Mammalia (Paris) 67 (3): 459– 461.
- Lunde, Darrin P., Musser, Guy G., and Son, Nguyen Truong. 2003. "A survey of small mammals from Mt. Tay Con Linh II, Vietnam, with the description of a new species of Chodsigoa (Insectivora: Soricidae)." Mammal Study 28 (1): 31– 46. https://doi.org/10.3106/mammalstudy.28.31
- Lunde, Darrin P. and Pacheco, Victor. 2003. "Shrew opossums (Paucituberculata: Caenolestes) from the Huancabamba region of east Andean Peru." Mammal Study 28 (2): 145– 148. https://doi.org/10.3106/mammalstudy.28.145
- Lunde, Darrin P. and Musser, Guy G. 2002. "The capture of the Himalayan water shrew (Chimarrogale himalayica) in Vietnam." Mammal Study 27 (2): 137– 140. https://doi.org/10.3106/mammalstudy.27.137
- Lunde, Darrin P. and Sarmiento, E. E. 2002. "Rodents collected from Kalinzu Forest, Uganda." Mammalian Biology 67 (4): 250– 255. https://doi.org/10.1078/1616-5047-00037
- Lunde, Darrin P., Conway, Tenley M., and Beresford, P. 2001. "Notes on a collection of bats (Chiroptera) from Dzanga-Sangha, Central African Republic." Mammalia (Paris) 65 (4): 535– 540.
- Voss, Robert S., Lunde, Darrin P., and Simmons, Nancy B. 2001. "The mammals of Paracou, French Guiana: a Neotropical lowland rainforest fauna Part 2. Non-volant mammals." Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History 263: 1– 236.
- Lunde, Darrin P. and Schutt, W. A. J. 1999. "The peculiar carpal tubercles of male Marmosops parvidens and Marmosa robinsoni (Didelphidae : Didelphinae)." Mammalia 63 (4): 495– 504. https://doi.org/10.1515/mamm.19184.108.40.2065
- Macphee, Ross D. E., Fleming, Clare, and Lunde, Darrin P. 1999. ""Last occurrence" of the Antillean Insectivore Nesophontes: New radiometric dates and their interpretation." American Museum Novitates 3261:
- Lunde, Darrin P. and Beresford, P. 1997. "Noteworthy records of bats from the Central African Republic." Bat Research News 38 (2):
- Lunde, Darrin P. and Kays, Roland W. 1994. "The utility of pitfall traplines and tree-traps in an inventory of Neotropical mammal diversity." Abstracts of the American Society of Mammalogists