Floyd ShockleyCollections Manager
- B.A. Westminster College
- M.S. University of Missouri
- Ph.D. University of Georgia
I oversee all aspects of collection management, logistics, purchasing and property management for the Department of Entomology, providing oversight of the National Insect Collection (100,000+ type specimens, 35 million+ specimens) and interacting with staff from the three agencies and 4 units that comprise the Combined Entomology Department (SI, USDA-SEL, USDA-APHIS, and DoD-WRBU). I serve as chair of the Entomology Collections Committee, the Entomology representative to the NMNH Collections Committee, floor representative on the Entomology Space Committee, and am the Entomology representative on the NMNH Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Committee. I serve as the primary Point-of-Contact between Entomology and OFMR (facilities issues), OBM (custodial/labor force issues), OPS (security issues), OSHEM (safety issues), & OCIO (IT issues). I also serve as the System Administrator for Transactions Management in EMu for Entomology and am responsible for all interactions with the Office of the Registrar and external regulatory agencies. I serve as the primary Contracting Officer’s Technical Representative (COTR), overseeing the work on all curatorial contracts conducted in Entomology.
I serve as the primary public spokesperson for the National Insect Collection for the Deptartment of Entomology and the primary point-of-contact with NMNH Public Affairs and Communications staff to arrange access to the collections and staff as well as answering general and technical questions about Entomology and natural history collections. I am the primary consultant with NMNH Conservation and NMNH Exhibits regarding entomological subject matter. I frequently consult with Education & Outreach on objects in Q?rius Center and the Insect Zoo. I conduct most of the Behind-the-Scenes tours of the Entomology collections at NMNH, ranging in audiences from high level dignitaries to small children’s groups (30+ tours for 300+ visitors annually). I also provide ID services for NMNH staff and the general public (900+ since 2011) and consult semi-regularly for staff in other SI units and non-SI museum units in the DC area (International Spy Museum, National Gallery of Art) regarding pest control and Integrated Pest Management measures.
My research interests focus on the taxonomy and systematics of fungus feeding beetles. I reconstruct phylogenetic relationships of Endomychidae using cladistics, likelihood and Bayesian techniques incorporating both morphological and molecular evidence, and use the resulting evolutionary hypotheses to explore patterns of change in physical, behavioral, and ecological characteristics. I am also proficient in descriptive alpha-level taxonomy and higher level classification, natural history and behavioral traits (especially among Neotropical members), and comparative morphology of extant adults, immature stages, and fossils.
- Tomberlin, Jeffery K., Stull, Valerie J., Lesnik, Julie, and Shockley, Floyd W. 2019. "A Special Issue on Insects as Feed and Food as Tribute to Dr. Marianne Clopton Shockley (14 August 1975 to 12 May 2019)." Annals of the Entomological Society of America 112 (6):497–499. https://doi.org/10.1093/aesa/saz043
- Monne, Marcela L., Zaher, Hussam, Mchugh, Joseph V., and Shockley, Floyd W. 2018. "Obituary—José Adriano Giorgi (20/12/1970–22/04/2018)." Revista Brasileira de Entomologia 62 (3):249–251. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rbe.2018.07.005
- Shockley, Floyd W. and Kovalenko, Yakov N. 2018. "First Record of Trochoideus desjardinsi Guerin-Meneville, 1838 (Coleoptera: Endomychidae: Pleganophorinae) from Cuba." The Coleopterists Bulletin 72 (3):500–502. https://doi.org/10.1649/0010-065X-72.3.500
- Steury, Brent W., Steiner, Warren E., Jr., and Shockley, Floyd W. 2018. "The Soldier Beetles and False Soldier Beetles (Coleoptera: Cantharidae and Omethidae) of the George Washington Memorial Parkway." The Maryland Entomologist 7 (2):11–27.
- Shockley, Floyd W. 2017. "UGA Entomology to the Smithsonian: One of many paths." Hexapod Herald 1 (1):5.
- Shockley, Floyd W. and Cline, Andrew R. 2017. "Clarification of the Taxonomic Identity and Placement of Eurhanius humeralis Reitter, 1887, with Transfer from Biphyllidae and Synonymy under Ectomychus basalis Gorham, 1887 (Coleoptera: Endomychidae)." The Coleopterists Bulletin 71 (1):152–154. https://doi.org/10.1649/0010-065X-71.1.152
- Shockley, Floyd W. 2016. "How the species inventory saved the day." NMNH Entomology CIMU Newsletter 8:3.
- Arriaga-Varela, Emmanuel, Tomaszewska, K. Wioletta, and Shockley, Floyd W. 2015. "Two new species of Epipocus (Coleoptera: Endomychidae) from Mexico and Costa Rica, with a discussion on species groups in Epipocus." The Canadian Entomologist 147 (2):148–157. https://doi.org/10.4039/tce.2014.43
- Robertson, James A., Slipinski, Adam, Moulton, Matthew, Shockley, Floyd W., Giorgi, Adriano, Lord, Nathan P., Mckenna, Duane D., Tomaszewska, Wioletta, Forrester, Juanita, Miller, Kelly B., Whiting, Michael F., and Mchugh, Joseph V. 2015. "Phylogeny and classification of Cucujoidea and the recognition of a new superfamily Coccinelloidea (Coleoptera: Cucujiformia)." Systematic Entomology 91 (3):278–280. https://doi.org/10.1111/syen.12138
- Shockley, Floyd W. and Thomas, Michael. 2015. "Notes on the taxonomic identity of Trogosita pusillima Mannerheim, 1843, with transfer from Laemophloeidae and synonymy under Holoparamecus depressus Curtis, 1833 (Endomychidae: Merophysiinae)." Pan Pacific Entomologist 91 (3):278–280. https://doi.org/10.3956/2015-91.3.278
- Shockley, Floyd W. and Alekseev, Vitaly I. 2014. "Glesirhanis bercioi, a new genus and species from Baltic amber (Coleoptera: Endomychidae: Leiestinae) with a checklist and nomenclatural notes regarding fossil Endomychidae." Zootaxa 3755 (4):391–400. https://doi.org/10.11646/zootaxa.3755.4.5
- Shockley, Floyd W. 2013. "Advances in Imaging Capabilities in Entomology." NMNH IT Times 48:2.
- Shockley, Floyd W. and Greenwalt, Dale E. 2013. "Ptenidium kishenehnicum (Coleoptera: Ptiliidae), a new fossil described from the Kishenehn oil shales, with a checklist of previously known fossil ptiliids." Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 115 (2):173–181. https://doi.org/10.4289/0013-8718.104.22.168
- Szczepanowska, Hanna, Shockley, Floyd W., Furth, David George, Gentili, Patricia, Bell, Darnell, DePriest, Paula T., Mecklenburg, Marion F., and Hawks, Catharine A. 2013. "Effectiveness of entomological collection storage cabinets in maintaining stable relative humidity in a historic museum building." Collection Forum 27 (1-2):43–53.
- Cline, Andrew R. and Shockley, Floyd W. 2012. "A new species of Fallia Sharp (Cucujoidea: Discolomatidae) from the West Indies, with a world checklist for Fallia." The Coleopterists Bulletin 66 (2):93–99. https://doi.org/10.1649/072.066.0221
- Shockley, Floyd W. 2012. "Diversity, Phenology and Natural History of Insects and other Arthropods in The Far Side® by Gary Larson." American Entomologist 58 (2):74–77.
- Shockley, Floyd W. 2012. "First records of Micropsephodes lundgreni Leschen and Carlton (Coleoptera: Endomychidae) in Alabama and Texas, U.S.A." The Coleopterists Bulletin 66 (1):76–78. https://doi.org/10.1649/072.066.0119
- Shockley, Floyd W. 2011. [Book review] "The Weevils of South Carolina (Coleoptera: Nemonychidae, Attelabidae, Brentidae, Ithyceridae, and Curculionidae). Biota of South Carolina. Volume 6." Annals of the Entomological Society of America. 104 (5):1027–1028. https://doi.org/10.1603/008.104.0521
- Shockley, Floyd W. and Vandenberg, Natalia J. 2011. "Notes on the taxonomic identity of Bystus hirtulus (Kirsch) and transfer from Endomychidae to Coccinellidae (Coleoptera: Cucujoidea), with designation of a lectotype for Alexia hirtula Kirsch." Zootaxa 2868:62–68.
- Stanger-Hall, Kathrin, Shockley, Floyd W., and Wilson, Rachel E. 2011. "Teaching students how to study: A workshop on information processing and self-testing helps students learn." CBE - Life Sciences Education 10 (2):187–198. https://doi.org/10.1187/cbe.10-11-0142
- Arriaga-Varela, Emmanuel and Shockley, Floyd W. 2010. "New records of the Neotropical Handsome Fungus Beetle genus Ephebus Gerstaecker (Endomychidae: Epipocinae) from Mexico and Costa Rica." Dugesiana 17 (2):209–211.
- Shockley, Floyd W. 2010. "Micropsephodes bahamaensis, a new species of Anamorphinae (Coleoptera: Cucujoidea: Endomychidae) from the Bahamas, with a key to the New World genera of Anamorphinae." Insecta Mundi 0112:1–11.
- Shockley, Floyd W. 2009. "The Systematics Resources Web Portal - The best web resource you're not using (and may not have even known existed)." ESA Newsletter 32 (1):5–5.
- Shockley, Floyd W., Tomaszewska, K. Wioletta, and Mchugh, Joseph V. 2009. "An annotated checklist of the Handsome Fungus Beetles of the world (Coleoptera: Cucujoidea: Endomychidae)." Zootaxa 1999:1–113.
- Shockley, Floyd W., Tomaszewska, K. Wioletta, and Mchugh, Joseph V. 2009. "Review of the natural history of the Handsome Fungus Beetles (Coleoptera: Cucujoidea: Endomychidae)." Insecta Mundi 0072:1–24.
- Shockley, Floyd W. and Ulyshen, Michael D. 2009. "An interesting deformity in Alobates pennsylvanica (DeGeer), 1775 (Coleoptera, Tenebrionidae)." Journal of Entomological Science 44:284–286.
- Shockley, Floyd W. and Vandenberg, Natalia J. 2009. "Catalogue of the primary types of Cerylonidae, Endomychidae and Latridiidae (Coleoptera: Cucujoidea) deposited in the National Museum of Natural History, with additional notes and clarification of the status of several types." Zootaxa 2229:1–64.
- Shockley, Floyd W., Ulyshen, Michael D., and Lord, Nathan P. 2008. "New distributional records and natural history notes for Micropsephodes lundgreni Leschen and Carlton (Coleoptera: Endomychidae)." The Coleopterists Bulletin 62 (3):350–352. https://doi.org/10.1649/1094.1
- Shockley, Floyd W. 2007. "Stenotarsus nigrivestis, a new species of Endomychidae (Coleoptera: Cucujoidea) from the Dominican Republic." The Coleopterists Bulletin 61 (3):479–486. https://doi.org/10.1649/0010-065X(2007)61[479:SNSANS]2.0.CO
- Shockley, Floyd W. and Tomaszewska, K. Wioletta. 2007. "First larval description for Symbiotes gibberosus (Lucas) (Coleoptera: Endomychidae)." Annales Zoologici 57 (4):751–755.
- Shockley, Floyd W. 2006. "Discolomopsis dominicana, a new genus and species of Endomychidae (Coleoptera) from Dominican amber." Insecta Mundi 20 (3-4):211–214.
- Shockley, Floyd W. and Murray, Kevin L. 2006. "Discovery of a parasitoid and a predator of batflies (Diptera: Streblidae) at La Selva, Costa Rica." Biotropica 38 (6):789–790. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-7429.2006.00207.x
- McGraw, Robert L., Shockley, Floyd W., Thompson, John F., and Roberts, Craig A. 2004. "Evaluation of fifteen native legume species for forage yield, quality, and seed production." Native Plants Journal 5 (2):152–159.
- Shockley, Floyd W. and Cline, Andrew R. 2004. "A contribution to the inventory of Coleoptera of Missouri: Records from Benton County." Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society 77 (3):280–284.
- Shockley, Floyd W., McGraw, Robert L., and Garrett, H. E. 2004. "Growth and nutrient concentration of two native forage legumes inoculated with Rhizobium and mycorrhiza in Missouri, USA." Agroforestry Systems 60:137–142.
- McGraw, Robert L., Shockley, Floyd W., and Elam, Theresia. 2003. "Effects of temperature on germination of ten native legume species." Native Plants Journal 4 (1):5–9.
- Cline, Andrew R., Shockley, Floyd W., and Puttler, Benjamin. 2002. "Description of surface swimming by Hypera eximia (Coleoptera: Curculionidae): Behavioral, morphological, and phylogenetic implications." Annals of the Entomological Society of America 95 (5):637–645.
- McGraw, Robert L., Sleper, David A., and Shockley, Floyd W. 2002. "Temperature effects on seed development of turf types of tall fescue." International Herbage Seed Group Newsletter 35:5–8.
- Shockley, Floyd W. 2002. "Instability of dominance hierarchies among male Madagascar hissing cockroaches, Gromphadorhina portentosa (Dictyoptera: Blaberidae)." Journal of Entomological Science 37 (3):281–282.
- Shockley, Floyd W. and Backus, Elaine A. 2002. "Repellency to the potato leafhopper (Homoptera: Cicadellidae) by erect glandular trichomes on alfalfa." Environmental Entomology 31 (1):22–29.
- Shockley, Floyd W., Backus, Elaine A., Ellersieck, Mark, Johnson, David, and McCaslin, Mark. 2002. "Glandular-haired alfalfa resistance to potato leafhopper (Homoptera: Cicadellidae) and hopperburn: Development of resistance indices." Journal of economic entomology 95 (2):437–447.
- Cline, A. R. and Shockley, Floyd W. 2010. "Biphyllidae LeConte, 1861." in Handbuch der Zoologie/Handbook of Zoology. Band/Volume IV. Arthropoda: Insecta Teilband/Part 38. Coleoptera, Beetles. Volume 2. Morphology and Systematics (Polyphaga partim)., edited by Leschen, R. A. B., Beutel, R. G., and Lawrence, J. F., 306–311. Berlin: W. DeGruyter.
- Shockley, Floyd W. 2009. "Endomychidae." in The Coleoptera of the Seychelles Islands, edited by Gerlach, Justin., 109–114. Sofia-Moscow: Pensoft Publishers.