Diana MarshResearch Anthropologist
2014 PhD., Anthropology (Museum Anthropology focus). University of British Columbia
2010 M.Phil. Social Anthropological Analysis(Museums & Heritage focus), University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK.
2009 B.F.A. Visual Arts, Photography concentration; Cultural Anthropology double major, Rutgers University, Mason Gross School of the Arts.
Diana Marsh is Postdoctoral Fellow at the Smithsonian’s National Anthropological Archives (NAA) who studies how heritage institutions produce and share knowledge. Her current research focuses on the digital dissemination of archival and museum collections. At the NAA she is leading a three-year NSF-funded project to research the use, access, and discoverability of the NAA's collections.
- Marsh, Diana E. 2019. Extinct Monsters to Deep Time : conflict, compromise, and the making of Smithsonian's fossil halls. New York: Berghahn Books.
- Punzalan, Ricardo, Marsh, Diana E., and Cools, Kyla. 2017. "Beyond Clicks, Likes, and Downloads: Identifying Meaningful Impacts for Digitized Ethnographic Archives." Archivaria 84:61–103.
- Marsh, Diana E. 2016. "Trace Ethnography, Affect, and Institutional Ecologies in the Distributed Records of a Plaster Model." Museum Anthropology 39 (2):111–129. https://doi.org/10.1111/muan.12119
- Marsh, Diana E., Punzalan, Ricardo L., Leopold, Robert S., Butler, Brian, and Petrozzi, Massimo. 2016. "Stories of impact: the role of narrative in understanding the value and impact of digital collections." Archival Science 16 (4):327–372. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10502-015-9253-5
- Regouby, Lynnette and Marsh, Diana E. 2016. [Book review] "Curating Gathering Voices." Anthropology News. 57 (5):e59–e60. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1556-3502.2016.570524.x
- Marsh, Diana E. 2015. "Reassembling the social life of a Medicine Man: Reassessing otherness, agency and authorship in the Wellcome archives." Journal of Material Culture 20 (2):211–245. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359183515578977
- Marsh, Diana E. 2015. "c?sna??m, the city before the city. Exhibits at the Museum of Vancouver, the Musqueam Cultural Education Resource Center, and the University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology, Vancouver, Canada. January 21, 23, and 25, 2015 to present." Museum Anthropology 38 (2):170–178. https://doi.org/10.1111/muan.12094
- Marsh, Diana E., Punzalan, Ricardo L., and Leopold, Robert S. 2015. "Studying the Impact of Digitized Ethnographic Collections: Implications for Practitioners." Practicing Anthropology 37 (3):26–31. https://doi.org/10.17730/0888-4552-37.3.26
- Marsh, Diana E. 2014. [Book review] "Imagine Africa with the Penn Museum. Exhibit at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. Philadelphia. September 18, 2011-present." Museum Anthropology. 37 (2):172–174. https://doi.org/10.1111/muan.12067
- Marsh, Diana E. 2013. [Book review] "Narrating Objects, Collecting Stories: Essays in Honour of Susan M. Pearce. Sandra H. Dudley, Amy J. Barnes, Jennifer Binnie, Julia Petrov, and Jennifer Walklate, eds. new york: routledge, 2012. 282." Museum Anthropology. 36 (2):161–163. https://doi.org/10.1111/muan.12039