Parasites and Parasitism
National Middle School Science Standards
parasite, parasitism, host, ecosystem, biomass, health
- Defining a parasite
- Medical uses of parasites
- Ecological roles of parasites
- Value of parasite collections
- Technology used by parasitologists
Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
The Parasitism teaching resources support students in meeting the following middle school NGSS Performance Expectations:
MS-LS2 Ecosystems: Interactions, Energy, and Dynamics
- MS-LS2-1 Analyze and interpret data to provide evidence for the effects of resource availability on organisms and populations of organisms in an ecosystem.
- MS-LS2-2 Construct an explanation that predicts patterns of interactions among organisms across multiple ecosystems.
- MS-LS2-4 Construct an argument supported by empirical evidence that changes to physical or biological components of an ecosystem affect populations.
MS-ESS3 Earth and Human Activity
- MS-ESS3-4 Construct an argument supported by evidence for how increases in human population and per-capita consumption of natural resources impact Earth's systems.