Geology of Gems and Minerals
National Middle School Science Standards
geology, rock, mineral, pegmatite, crystal, gem
- Processes of mineralization and crystallization
- Differences between gems and minerals
- Human impacts on gems and minerals
- Geographic distribution of gems and minerals
- Technology used by geologists
Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
The Geology of Gems and Minerals teaching resources support students in meeting the following middle school NGSS Performance Expectations.
MS-ESS2 Earth's Systems
- MS-ESS2-1 Develop a model to describe the cycling of Earth's materials and the flow of energy that drives this process.
- MS-ESS2-2 Construct an explanation based on evidence for how geoscience processes have changed Earth's surface at varying time and spatial scales.
- MS-ESS2-3 Analyze and interpret data on the distribution of fossils and rocks, continental shapes, and seafloor structures to provide evidence of the past plate motions.
MS-ESS3 Earth and Human Activity
- MS-ESS3-1 Construct a scientific explanation based on evidence for how the uneven distributions of Earth's mineral, energy, and groundwater resources are the result of past and current geoscience processes.
- MS-ESS3-4 Construct an argument supported by evidence for how increases in human population and per-capita consumption of natural resources impact Earth's systems.