National Middle School Science Standards
Earth Science, Physical Science
geology, meteorites, asteroids, minerals, space missions, orbit, solar system history
- Evidence from meteorites about Earth's formation
- Characteristics of meteorites, meteors, asteroids
- Mineral origins of the universe
- Importance of space missions for astronomy
- Technology used by meteoriticists
Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
The Asteroids and Meteorites teaching resources support students in meeting the following middle school NGSS Performance Expectations.
MS-ESS1 Earth's Place in the Universe
- MS-ESS1-2 Develop and use a model to describe the role of gravity in the motions within galaxies and the solar system.
- MS-ESS1-3 Analyze and interpret data to determine scale properties of objects in the solar system.
- MS-ESS1-4 Construct a scientific explanation based on evidence from rock strata for how the geologic time scale is used to organize Earth's 4.6-billion-year-old history.
MS-PS2 Motion and Stability: Forces and Interactions
- MS-PS2-1 Apply Newton's Third Law to design a solution to a problem involving the motion of two colliding objects.
- MS-PS2-2 Plan an investigation to provide evidence that the change in an object's motion depends on the sum of the forces on the object and the mass of the object.
- MS-PS2-4 Construct and present arguments using evidence to support the claim that gravitational interactions are attractive and depend on the masses of interacting objects.