National Middle School Science Standards
Earth Science, Physical Science
geology, meteorites, minerals, Mars, solar system history, melt clasts
- Characteristics of meteorites
- Evidence of solar system collisions
- Antarctica as a source of meteorites
- What meteorites reveal about Mars
- Technology used by meteoriticists
Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
The Antarctic Meteorites and Mars teaching resources support students in meeting the following middle school NGSS Performance Expectations.
MS-ESS1 Earth's Place in the Universe
- MS-ESS1-2 Develop and use a model to describe the role of gravity in the motions within galaxies and the solar system.
- MS-ESS1-3 Analyze and interpret data to determine scale properties of objects in the solar system.
- MS-ESS1-4 Construct a scientific explanation based on evidence from rock strata for how the geologic time scale is used to organize Earth's 4.6-billion-year-old history.
MS-PS1 Matter and Its Interactions
- MS-PS1-1 Develop models to describe the atomic composition of simple molecules and extended structures.
MS-PS2 Motion and Stability: Forces and Interactions
- MS-PS2-1 Apply Newton's Third Law to design a solution to a problem involving the motion of two colliding objects.