Marcy HeackerResearch Assistant
- M.S., George Mason University (2002), Biology
- B.S., Biology. George Mason University (1999), Biology
- A.S., Columbus State College (1985), Veterinary Technology
The main focus of Marcy's work is in avian species identification from microscopic and whole-feather characters. This specialized work in wildlife forensics is particularly important for aviation industry personnel that deal with civil and military birdstrikes. This feather identification service has led to collaborations with scientists in the fields of Aviation Safety, Wildlife Biology, Anthropology, and Law Enforcement. Marcy's current research is on the feather microstructure of the Ducks, Geese, and Swans.
- Mociño-Deloya, Estrella, Setser, Kirk, Heacker, Marcy, and Peurach, Suzanne C. 2015. "Diet of New Mexico Ridge-nosed Rattlesnake (Crotalus willardi obscurus) in the Sierra San Luis and Sierra Pan Duro, México." Journal of Herpetology, 49, (1) 104–107. https://doi.org/10.1670/13-082.
- Dove, Carla J., Dahlan, Nor Faridah, Heacker, Marcy A., and Whatton, James F. 2010. "Using Whatman FTA cards to collect DNA for bird-strike identifications." Human-Wildlife Interactions, 5, (2) 218–223.
- Dove, Carla J., Dahlan, Nor Faridah, and Heacker, Marcy. 2009. "Forensic bird-strike identification techniques used in an accident investigation at Wiley Post Airport, Oklahoma, 2008." Human-Wildlife Conflicts, 3, (2) 179–185.
- Marra, Peter P., Dove, Carla J., Dolbeer, Richard, Dahlan, N. F., Heacker, M., Whatton, James F., Diggs, N. E., France, Christine A. M., and Henkes, G. A. 2009. "Migratory Canada geese cause crash of US Airways Flight 1549." Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 7, (6) 297–301. https://doi.org/10.1890/090066.
- Dove, Carla J., Rotzel, Nancy C., Heacker, Marcy, and Weigt, Lee A. 2008. "Using DNA Barcodes to Identify Birds Involved in Birdstrikes." Journal of Wildlife Management, 72, (5) 1231–1236. https://doi.org/10.2193/2007-272.
- Dove, Carla J., Hare, P. Gregory, and Heacker, Marcy. 2005. "Identification of Ancient Feather Fragments Found in Melting Alpine Ice Patches in Southern Yukon." Arctic, 58, (1) 38–43.
- Dove, Carla J., Heacker, Marcy, and Adair, B. 2004. "In Memoriam: Roxie Collie Laybourne, 1910-2003." The Auk, 121, (4) 1282–1285.
- Dove, Carla J. and Heacker, Marcy. 2002. "Egyptian Nightjar (Caprimulgus aegyptius) in North America?" Journal of Field Ornithology, 73, (1) 60–61.
- Rogers, J. Daniel, Dove, Carla J., Heacker, Marcy, and Graves, Gary R. 2002. "Identification of Feathers in Textiles from the Craig Mound at Spiro, Oklahoma." Southeastern Archaeology, 21 245–251.