Reserve the CT Scanner
Make a Request / Reservation
Fill out a form to request the use of the CT scanner
- The CT center is located at NMNH in the Anthropology department in the east area of the third floor of the main building.
- You must have an NMNH badge in order to access the CT center. If you are a visiting researcher working with Smithsonian collections, arrangements can be made with the staff of that department to acquire a visitor badge and to transport collections.
- If you are bringing non-NMNH specimens for scanning and/or are not a visiting researcher, arrangements will be made with one of the CT specialists. Before scanning, you will sign in at the security office and be escorted to the CT center by a CT center staff member.
- Carts are available for transporting specimens to the CT center.
- Parking is strictly limited at NMNH and is not guaranteed. For researchers parking at NMNH, the center is located near the loading dock in the east parking lot. We are happy to help transport specimens into the museum. Only researchers who are transporting specimens to be scanned should request a parking space.
- Bring an external hard drive or USB flash drive that is MAC compatible to take copies of your CT files with you. If not, images can be sent via Dropbox or Google Drive.
- Researchers are welcome to watch the scanning process safely in the CT center behind a windowed lead barrier and work with the CT specialist to capture the best data. Because images are in DICOM-3 format, we suggest downloading a DICOM-viewer to view and work with the data. We do not include a viewer for researchers to view their data.