In Celebration of the Exhibition of
the 1st Edition of Linnaeus' Systema Naturae
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Baird Auditorium, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution
- 8:30 am Coffee (enter through Constitution Avenue Lobby)
- 9:00 am Welcome, Paul Risser, Acting Director of the National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution and James Edwards, Executive Director, Encyclopedia of Life
- 9:15 am Gunnar Broberg, Lund University, Sweden. "An Historical Perspective on Linnaeus"
- 10:15 am Coffee Break
- 10:45 am Gerry Moore, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, U.S.A. "A Comparison of Linnaean Plant Taxonomy as Practiced by Linnaeus and Linnaean Plant Taxonomy in Use Today"
- 11:45 am David McL. Roberts, The Natural History Museum, London, U.K. "Linnean Systematics, Collaborative Taxonomy and the Web"
- 12:45 pm Lunch Break - Museum cafeterias and local restaurants
- 2:00 pm Michael Donoghue, Peabody Museum of Natural History Yale University, New Haven, U.S.A. "Should We Seriously Consider an Alternative System of Nomenclature?"
- 3:00 pm Mark Siddall, American Museum of Natural History, New York, U.S.A. "The DNA Barcode of Life and Linnaean Taxonomy"
- 4:00 pm Coffee Break
- 4:30 pm Cristián Samper, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, U.S.A. "The Encyclopedia of Life and Linnaean Taxonomy"
- 5:30 pm Hans Sues, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, U.S.A. "Summary and Perspective"
Evening Event: Rotunda, National Museum of Natural History
6:30 -8:00 pm Reception and viewing of the two-day exhibition "A Tribute to Carl Linnaeus, 1707-1778" including the author's own copy of Systema Naturae (courtesy of the Swedish Embassy), with illustrations by Georg Dionysius Ehret; to be followed by an appearance by Linnaeus [Hans Odöö]. For more information about the exhibition...
No registration required.
[ TOP ]